By: Dr. Donald Brown, Guest Columnist
I do not think that I’ve ever written a more important post. This one is about Reverend Raphael Warnock and John Ossoff who are running as Democrats for the United States Senator. They are running against current Republican Senators Kelley Loeffler and David Perdue, neither of whom seem to care about Georgia’s and society’s least of these. I am sure that you have heard that electing Rev. Warnock and Mr. Ossoff is extremely important because it will reverse the leadership President-Electtes Senate. What a victory it would Be for President Elect-Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris in acting on their agenda to revive America.
What we need now to ensure the election of Rev. Warnock and Mr. Ossoff is for each of us to donate to their campaigns and equally, if not more important, getting out the vote like never. Our friends and family in Georgia must go to the pools come rain or storm on January 5th.
My daughter, who lives in Georgia, and I have been discussing specific ways that you and I who live in other states can help Reverend Warnock and Mr. Ossoff. Here are just a few:
1. Donate to the Warnock and Ossoff Campaigns
2. Go to the Warnock and Ossoff websites to be clear on what they are committed to doing
3. Call family and friends in Atlanta to ensure that they will go to the poll on January 5th
4. Ask your family and friends to contact as many people as in the sphere of influence to make sure they get to the polls on January 5th
5. Ask your pastor to speak about the importance of the congregations going to the polls on January 5th
6. Check with the leadership of your religious denomination to make sure that Bishops encourage pastors to speak to their congregations about the importance of this election
7. Make sure that your fraternity, sorority, and other community-based organizations encourage members to vote
8. Ask barbershop and beauty parlor owners to make flyers available about the candidates and the importance of going to the pools on January 5th.
9. Post in prominent spaces quotes from the late Congressman John regarding the sacred nature of voting.
10. Pray, pray, pray, and pray some more for the success of Rev. Warnock and Mr. Ossoff, and share with as many as possible the bible adage that faith without works is dead!